Drawing inspiration from sagacious leader of Bihar Dr. Anugrah Narayan Sinha, the college was established in January 1956, at Patna High School as Gardanibagh Tutorial College, to be run in the evening shift. The objective was to facilitate academic pursuits of employees working in various departments during day time. Subsequently, this college was renamed as Anugrah Narayan College (A.N. College)Patna. In 1959, the college was shifted to Anisabad in a rental building. The first principal of the college was Dr. Gorakh Nath Sinha, a great economist and a contemporary of Dr. Hicks, a Nobel Laureate in Economics.
On the personal initiatives of Bihar Vibhuti Anugrah Babu , Patna Improvement Trust provided 19 acres of land to this present site but later on some of the lands were released back to farmers and eventually the college rested with 13 acres of land. The classes were shifted from Anisabad to this premises and thereafter the college blossomed and metamorphosed into present form. The erstwhile governing body had eminent personalities like Sri Satyendra Narayan Sinha, Ex-C.M.of Bihar, Mrs. Kishori Sinha, Ex-M.P, Justice K.B.N.Singh, Justice Birendra Pratap Singh, Dr. Sheo Narayan Singh and Sri Sunil Mukherjee.
To this date, the college has 22 UG departments and 21 PG departments. The college has never hesitated to take innovative measures. Keeping in view, technological march of resurgent India, the college has introduced apart from conventional courses,a large number of technological and industry driven courses. On initiative of U.G.C and Government of Bihar ,many new courses like Electronics, Environmental Sciences were introduced during 1980s. In1996, the first vocational course E.W.M(Environment and Water Management) was introduced later on, many more job oriented courses like B.C..A, B.B.M, M.C.A, M.B.A and Biotechnology were added to the list.