G.S.V.M. Medical College is situated in the heart of the historic & industrial city of kanpur. The city of Kanpur is embraced by our most holy river 'Ganga' from two sides, northwest (Kalyanpur) and northeast (Jajmau). In the British period our city was known as Cawnpore. It has a special place in Hindu mythology. It's Bithoor area is famous from Ramayana era. Presently the Kanpur city is famous for its industrial organization and educational institutes. Our city is the economic capital of Uttar Pradesh.
This Medical college has a sprawling campus with hospital and college sections accommodated in huge buildings. The main college building looks like a huge palace and is the biggest amongst all medical colleges in U.P. The main hospital (L.L.R Hospital) along with its sister units e.g. , Chest hospital, Infectious disease hospital, Children hospital, Maternity hospital, Cancer institute and Cardiology institute, constitute the biggest patient care center in Asia.
G.S.V.M. Medical College Kanpur, known for its academic excellence world over, is named after Late Shri Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi, a great freedom fighter ,who lost his life at the altar of the communal frenzy in Kanpur in March 1931.
This was the first medical college of U. P. established in independent India, forming a landmark in the annals of medical education in the state of U. P. It is one of the five medical colleges in India established under the second five year plan.
This college came into existence in November 1955 and its foundation stone was laid down by Hon'ble Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, on April 24, 1956. Late Dr. S. N. Mathur was the first Principal of this college. Teaching and training of the students was first started at King George's Medical College, Lucknow due to pending construction of the building at Kanpur. Staff on temporary basis was recruited from 1st May, 1957 by selection through an ad hoc committee appointed by the government. The students had their training in pre-clinical subjects for the first two years at Lucknow and then the selected staff and all the students were shifted to Kanpur. Dr. C. B. Singh was mainly responsible for starting the teaching at medical college, Kanpur from 1st August 1957. This institution was inaugurated by Dr. Sampoorna Nand, Chief Minister of U. P on Dec. 13, 1959.
To begin with, the college was affiliated to Lucknow University and latter in 1968, when Kanpur University was established, the college was affiliated to it. Since then this medical college has been growing in every sphere and has earned a National and International fame for its excellent research work & teaching. Under the guidance of our dynamic Principal Dr. Anand Swaroop this college is gaining new achievements in all the aspects.